Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Harshly Judged

We are all familiar with stories from the news about teen girls and boys taking their own lives due to teasing, gossip, things such as being completely ignored or let out also tend to play a part.We hear of kids taking guns and knives to school to hurt those who have verbally or physically hurt them and we morn their pain as well as their families pain.


 We tell our children to speak to everyone, to befriend all those they come in contact with yet I wonder as adults do we really strive to do the same. My mom always said "Do As I Say, Not As I do" I can't help but remember back to that and think that is so not how it should be, what about "Do As I do"? How about instead of us telling our children to do what we say and not as we do we actually do as we say as well. How about we try to befriend all those we come in contact with and speak to everyone. It's not like we suddenly hit a certain age and have kids that we become unhurt by peoples actions or comments. We don't develop this turtle shell to bounce off things and keep us safe. We as adults can be hurt just as easily by people speaking mean, or just by them ignoring us or leaving us out. Don't get me wrong, some people get hurt much to easily, but some take much more then their share or the punishment from others and many times it is undeserved.

Why doesn't to cross our minds that adults are just as fragile as children when it comes to playing mind games and speaking ill of them. Why aren't we worried about the things some might do to escape the pain when we are adults. It isn't like things suddenly disappear as adults people still fear there life is harder now then it would be when they are gone. People still cry themselves to sleep at night. Adults still feel like they are constantly being judged by those around them and at times still aren't sure whom their true friends really are. The mere fact that grow adults have to question who they are and who truly loves them who who they are is a very sad thing for me. I've been in this spot, questioning who I was. Wondering if I was ever going to be enough for people to expect, hoping that someday I would meet the standards set forth by those judging me. At some point I realized I didn't need their approval as much as I thought they did. I realize the only approval I need to feel good about myself was mine and Heavenly Father's and as long as I know he approves and I love myself, I found I am more able to approve and LOVE those around me. I am more able to not judge harshly and to not assume what someone is like or what they stand for.

I encourage you all to ponder this next time you tell your kids to befriend someone or to not judge someone, next time you say "DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO", Ask yourself this AM I DOING AS I SAY?? AM I BEFRIENDING ALL THOSE I CAN AND AM I LOOKING AT PEOPLE WITH AN HONEST HEART AND NOT JUDGING THEM?





If you can answer this then you really not need to work on yourself and for that I congratulate you, but for most of us this is a much tougher question when we really look deep and pursue the honest answer to our lives and the paths we are on.

0 comments: